Monday, July 30, 2012

Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief

by Rick Riordan
AR book level:  4.7

As I said before I really really really like Greek mythology.  So my mom thought that I would like this book which I did. 

Percy Jackson is a sixth grader who has dyslexia and ADHD.  He gets in trouble a lot in school so he gets kicked out of a different school each year.  At the end of his field trip, his teacher grows wings and talons and attacks him.  He fights her off with the help of his favorite teacher who gives him a pen that turns into a sword. After this, no one knows it happened or even remembers the teacher.  Percy overhears his favorite teacher and his best friend talking about him and the teacher he fought. 

After being chased by monsters again, his mom takes him to a camp for half-bloods, kids who have one parent who is a Greek god/goddess and one mortal parent.  Percy's mom is killed taking him to the camp and he does not know which god is his father.  At camp, Percy learns who his father is and is sent on a quest to prevent the gods from fighting and therefore making a war.

Mostly the two reasons I really liked it is that you learn a lot about Greek mythology and it was super-duper funny.  My favorite character was Annabeth, whose mom is Athena the goddess of wisdom.  I like her because she is smart and she is always acting like she is the best, but in a good way.  I also like that the three friends Percy, Annabeth, and Grover have nicknames for each other.

I am reading the second book in this series now.  I will probably be done before school starts with it.  There are five books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment